Lead the Surgical team at this busy regional hospital in Queensland.
Total package up to $469,555 per annum
Live waterside, near beautiful parklands and the marina
Access an array of education options including Australia's largest regional university
There are 498 full time equivalent staff delivering services across acute, community and primary care. This 100-bed regional hospital offers a range of general and specialist inpatient and outpatient services including emergency, general medicine and surgery, basic orthopaedic, clinical investigation, obstetrics, maternity, gynaecology, high dependency and coronary care, palliative care, medical imaging, pathology and paediatrics. Additional services include Mental Health, Alcohol and other Drugs Service, oral health, physiotherapy, dietetics, speech pathology and outreach/community based facilities, as well as a Primary Health Care Centre located at Boyne Valley.
Approximately 3,165 surgical cases are performed annually in the two operating theatres, around 1,100 endoscopies are performed and 600 babies are born. At present there is a 31 bed mixed General Surgical and Medical Ward and a 4-bed High Dependency Unit, where patients may be held pending retrieval, or for close observation not possible on the wards. Additional beds are available for paediatric patients. The hospital has a busy surgical outpatient clinic reviewing a wide variety of surgical conditions.
Surgery performed at the hospital is consistent with the Level 3 Clinical Services Capability Framework for Surgical Services. Surgeries performed include all procedures classified as having a surgical complexity I or II, all surgical complexity III procedures with low to medium anaesthetic risk and complexity IV procedures with low anaesthetic risk. All other procedures are referred out.
A private Mater Misericordiae Hospital is adjacent to the hospital and operates within a co-location agreement.
- You will provide ethical decision making in the achievement of organisation goals.
- As a part of the clinical executive, you will provide strategic leadership and direction, service planning, effective management and provision of surgical medicine services.
- The role is also responsible for the quality, cost efficiency and effective delivery of anaesthesia services at the hospital.
- You will actively contribute to the Director Medical Services' meetings and effectively participate in hospital management committees and change management initiatives.
- You will be responsible for the education and supervision of junior medical staff and medical students.
- You may be required to provide clinical services at any facility within the Hospital and Health Service.
- You will have experience in all aspects of general surgery.
- You will participate in the after-hours on-call roster.
- GESA accreditation or approaching is desirable.
Locals in this region are passionate about water and marine activities. At the heart of the city centre is an impressive natural deep-water harbour. Each year the harbour plays host to the annual Brisbane to Gladstone Yacht Race, marked by the week-long Harbour Festival.
The East Shores Precinct and Marina Parklands attract people to the city from around the globe. The local ferry service (and direct flight) offers passengers access to tropical islands including Heron Island, Lady Musgrave Island, the Great Barrier Reef and Discovery Coast.
The city offers a range of entertainment including an art gallery, museum, wide variety of restaurants and bars.
There is an array of education options including Australia's largest regional university.
There is a wide range of housing and an affordable rental market.
The city and surrounds are best discovered via road with many highways and scenic driving routes in the region.
You can fly to Brisbane in 1 hour with daily flights or there is the twice daily Tilt-train service.
- MBBS or equivalent eligible for registration with with the Medical Board of Australia.
- Possession of qualifications and experience appropriate for registration as a Specialist in General Surgery by AHPRA.
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in the speciality of General Surgery, preferred. Or, support from the RACS for Staff Grade General Surgeon status in an Area of Need.
- Accreditation by GESA in upper and lower GI endoscopy is essential.
- Enrolment and maintenance of ongoing CME program with the appropriate bodies.
- Licence to operate class C motor vehicle. Proof must be provided prior to the commencement of duty.
Elective Recruitment is a person-centred recruitment consultancy. Your career progression is just as important to us as is your wellbeing and work-life balance. We are acutely aware of the rising statistics identifying job dissatisfaction, stress, burnout and mental illness in the healthcare sector, and this concerns us.
We are not just another recruitment company; we do things our way and we consult. We have a very clear vision: create great careers, better lifestyles, add value - and we won’t stop until this is achieved.
We work tirelessly to listen, care, empower and help you dream big to design a healthcare career you love to live. We believe that collaboration, getting things done with integrity and working towards a common goal is the best way to partner with you and make an impact.
By joining the Elective community you will receive career coaching, access to our deep knowledge of the Australian healthcare industry, our network of healthcare related educators and partners, our migration and regulatory advisor, and our relationships with public and private healthcare clients that have been established since 2008.
To join our exclusive Elective community, register today.